Oprah posed this question to many of her guests and viewers when she was hosting her talk show. The question was first posed to her by film critic Gene Siskel but she couldn’t answer it at the time. She started a monthly column in “O” magazine and wrote a book with the same title. I figure, if that question impacted her so much I’d take a delve into what I know for sure.
(Ok my very first thought is that this is a lot harder than it seems! LOL)
Ok, now for real. Seriously. Here we go…
1. Love conquers all. I really believe it!
2. If you follow your intuition you can’t go wrong. When your heart strings pull you toward something, that’s where you need to go. Conversely, if you are getting nauseated every time to you touch the door handle going into the office, it’s a sure sign to run like hell away from that place (True story. Happened to me, and I did).
3. When you take care of yourself, you take care of everyone else who ever comes in contact with you. Never underestimate self care.
4. Mistakes do not equal failure as a person. They only mean that you’re trying. Do not ever feel badly if something didn’t work out as planned.
5. Tell the ones you love that you love them or you may have to live with regret later.
6. Never underestimate a small act done with the intention of love.
7. To stand up for your rights and personal morals (and the rights of others who cannot speak for themselves) is honorable and good but can, at times, be very difficult to do. It may cost you a relationship, job or whole career. That’s ok. Do it anyway.
8. Our bodies are just vehicles for our souls who are our true selves. The way they look is ultimately unimportant and shouldn’t be focused on so much (the way we view our own bodies and others’). Also, another spiritual truth I know for sure is that somehow in someway we are all connected. I can’t prove either but I know it for sure in my heart.
9. Laughter can cure almost anything. If we can learn to laugh more, even in times of trouble, we will suffer far less in life. If you can’t laugh, at least smile.
10. Extreme gratitude for life and all things in it can turn an ordinary life into something incredibly extraordinary. This includes being grateful for the lessons that hard times teach us.
11. Water is life. Drink it, listen to it, bathe in it, swim in it, cleanse and purify yourself in it every chance you can get. Bless the rain. Don’t pollute or take it for granted.
12. Words can hurt. Words can heal. Choose them wisely.
13. When you give, you receive.
14. Crushing someone’s spirit is the absolute worst act of violence that can be done. People do it every single day and don’t even realize it.
15. Everybody hurts sometimes (Taken from the R.E.M. song with the same title). This song has saved me more times than I care to remember). Everybody hurts but we all have to hang on and comfort our friends.
16. Nothing lasts forever. This too shall pass (on Oprah’s list also but I had to include it because I know this for sure myself as well).
17. Everyone’s 100% looks different. Just because someone doesn’t accomplish as much as another doesn’t mean they didn’t give it their all. High fives for everyone who is trying!
18. Prejudism and harsh judgments are a form of violence and hatred. Hitler did that and look what happened. Stalin too. The entire slave population suffered for years due to it. Same for American Indians. The list could go on and on. If you don’t think your personal thoughts can affect the entire world, think twice. When a group of hateful people come together a lot of irreparable destruction can be done. (I wish that each prejudiced person would equate themselves to Hitler every time they had a prejudiced thought).
19. Protecting your energy and space is essential to your well being. Most people are doing the best they can with what knowledge and experience they have but there are a few people who know better and choose to not do better. Run far away and as fast as you can from these people. They will not help you to raise your consciousness or be the best that you can be. You owe them nothing. They are on their own path and need to learn for themselves.
20. It is only when you can truly forgive that you can truly heal. Forgive yourself. Forgive others. It is the key to happiness.
21. To be your true, authentic self and love the life you want to live is the best that you can do for yourself and the world.
You can find Oprah’s “What I Know for Sure” list here
What’s on yours? I’d love to hear from you in the comments!
May you be happy and well!